Time Off Work

When we are unwell we all may need time off from work. Here you can find information and help on what to do when you feel you cannot work. Please read the information below to guide you through what support you need. If you have any questions please contact us. 

Patients will normally need to be seen by an advanced nurse practitioner or GP face-to-face to be assessed for a 'Fit Note' if it is a new problem.

If you require an extension of an existing 'Fit Note' please discuss this with reception staff.


Employers can ask employees to fill in a from when they return to work to confirm they’ve been off sick for up to 7 days. This is called ‘self-certification’. Employers usually provide their own version of this form. If they do not provide this form you can go to gov.uk to complete a form

Fit Notes and Proof of Sickness

Employees must give their employer a doctor’s ‘fit note’ (sometimes called a ‘sick note’) if they’re off sick for more than 7 days in a row (including non-working days).

Hospital doctors or GPs can provide a fit note. They may charge a fee if the note is asked for before the 7th day.

The fit note will say the employee is either ‘not fit for work’ or ‘may be fit for work’.

If it says the employee ‘may be fit for work’, employers should discuss any changes that might help the employee return to work (eg different hours or tasks). The employee must be treated as ‘not fit for work’ if there’s no agreement on these changes.

Employers can take a copy of the fit note. The employee should keep the original.

For further comprehensive information for employees and employers click here

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website